ReadMe.txt - ClearFont2This page is the most up-to-date location for help customising ClearFont2. Discuss here!
NOTE THAT THIS INFO DOES NOT APPLY TO CLEARFONT (ORIGINAL) - SEE HERE INSTEAD.
- Step One
- Step Two (optional)
- Switching between supplied fonts
- Using your own fonts and font packs
- Changing the main UI font styles
- More about the normal, bold, italic, bold-italic and number substyles
- Changing the text size
- ClearFont2 and overrides
- Step Two of the install - a simple and fast manual override
- How to override addons that supply their own fonts
d. Known Issues
- Text showing as '...'?
- Not affecting the Chat window font?
- Text too large?
e. Other Info
- Worried about slowdown / the download size?
- People to thank!
Remember to delete previous versions when updating!
Simply unzip the files and place the ClearFont2 folder in the <WoW directory>\Interface\AddOns\ folder.
- These are the main files included in the download:
- Changelog.txt (handwritten changelog)
- ClearFont.co.uk - official website.url (clearfont.co.uk link)
- ClearFont2.toc (info file for the game)
- Core.lua (main code file)
- Design.lua (the design code and specifications)
- icon.tga (used for the options on the minimap or Fubar)
- Readme.txt (some extra information)
- Many files and folders (the main fonts)
- Interface\AddOns\ClearFont2\libs\ ...
- Many files and folders (Ace2 stuff)
Step Two (optional)
This part overrides all the remaining WoW fonts - including the login screens!
- Create the following folder:
- <WoW directory>\Fonts\
- Create four copies of the font file of your choice, place them in the above folder, and rename them to the following names:
- FRIZQT__.ttf (the main UI font)
- ARIALN.ttf (the normal number font)
- skurri.ttf (the 'huge' number font)
- MORPHEUS.ttf (Mail, Quest Log font)
- See Addon Overrides for background of this step.
To uninstall, just remove the ClearFont2 folders!
Switching between supplied fonts
Use the in-game options menu! Note that to change the ChatFrame font, you will have to reload the UI - type /rl.
Using your own fonts and font packs
You can download several font packs for ClearFont2 from www.wowace.com/files.
Each pack should follow the name format of "ClearFont2 - FontPack_X", and they should seamlessly add their fonts to the in-game options menu.
If you wish to create your own font pack, the easiest method is to take a look at the existing font packs and create your own following the same style.
What occurs is that the info from the 'plugin' addon is seamlessly added to the master table of font options that CF2 uses.
Changing the main UI font styles
The Design.lua file can be edited easily in notepad, and is annotated with extra information to help guide you.
Note that you will lose your changes if you completely update ClearFont2.
More about the normal, bold, italic, bold-italic and number substyles
In order to provide some variety to WoW, 5 different styles are used in the design code.
A general guide to their use is given below:
- Normal - most fonts
- Bold - small fonts
- Italic - quest log, mail
- BoldItalic - zone change and map notifications
- Number - action bar hotkeys, money, item stacks
Changing the text size
Use the in-game options menu to scale all font sizes, or you can edit individual sections of the UI by editing the Design.lua file.
ClearFont2 and overrides
I have removed the individual overrides from ClearFont2, as they are no longer particularly neccessary.
However, the addon now also includes rudimentary code to ensure most addons use the ClearFont2 fonts.
This code can be switched on and off via the in-game options menu.
Step Two of the install - a simple and fast manual override
Follow Step Two of the install process (see Installation).
This will override addons that reference stock WoW typefaces and has the added benefit of overriding the login screen fonts!
If SCT is not overridden by this, make sure the options are set to defaults, or follow the below.
How to override addons that use/supply their own fonts
Certain addons come with their own fonts which are easily overridden.
In each case you can use a renamed copy of the font you desire in place the the supplied font.
Text showing as '...'?
This appears to be the result of a bug in WoW, and often affects players with a screen resolution of around 1680x1050.
It is related to the UI scale, and is easily resolved!
- Fiddle with the UI scale settings in-game.
- If that fails, you can try deleting the file config.wtf found in the <WoW directory>\WTF\ folder.
- If that fails, try using the new font scaling option!
Not affecting the Chat window font?
Try deleting your chat-cache.txt file.
This is located under the <WoW directory>\WTF\Account\<accountname>\<server>\<charactername>\ folder.
Also, try disabling any addons or parts of addons that may attempt to alter the look of the chat window (such as Prat's font sizing module.
The above steps are not guaranteed to work - this is an ongoing investigation!
Text too large?
In many cases ClearFont makes the text size slightly larger.
Therefore, in some rare cases text may slightly overlap the bottom of some frames, such as in the Honor Panel.
See Modifying ClearFont for methods for changing the text sizes, if necessary.
Worried about slowdown / the download size?
Although ClearFont may seem a large download (due to the inclusion of the font files), the actual in-game memory footprint is tiny.
It should have little effect on load times as it merely replaces fonts rather than adds extra 'functions' to WoW.
People to thank!
- Devla for his FonTabulous addon which started it all off,
- Iriel for helping me code for Patch 1.10,
- Cairenn at WoW Interface for being wonderful,
- sancus, Kolth & Dark Imakuni and many others for their help testing CF,
- Plus many, many others for their support and help!